I wanted to set myself some kind of daily art challenge at the start of this year, to help build my portfolio and came across the amazing Lisa Congdon’s “Daily Drawing Challenge: 31 Things to Draw” on Creativebug. I love Lisa’s work and have dabbled in a few of her classes on Creativbug in the past but I have never really finished any of the lessons because I’ve been busy. This time I promised myself that I would stick to this project/class no matter what.
Even when I was busy and missed a day or two I made sure I caught up on each day. When a certain topic made me feel anxious because I felt like I couldn’t draw that object, like chairs and footwear, I pushed myself to give it a go – and I ended up surprising myself with the work I produced (in a good way).
Another thing I promised myself was that I would post my work on social media no matter what I thought of it and I’m so glad I did. The support from everyone taking the course was overwhelming! Getting compliments on my work from fellow artists is such an amazing feeling and appreciating other peoples work and telling them is equally as great.
This course has helped me network with fellow creatives and be part of such an amazing community. We all have the same goal (to find work) yet we are all able to be supportive of one another – it really is a fantastic feeling!
What I learnt from doing a daily challenge?
- that I am able to be disciplined to complete a project
- not to give up even if I miss a day or two and just catch up
- not to compare my work to other peoples and appreciate my own style
- that it’s good to try new things
- not to stay stuck in my comfort zone and rise to the challenge of drawing new things
- share my work on social media even if I don’t think it’s very good
- network with fellow creatives
I hope you enjoy my daily drawings!